As I spoke to the children I was amazed at the number of facts they already knew. These included:
- They are nocturnal
- Their main defence is to roll into a ball
- They eat slugs, snails, caterpillars, bugs etc. but you can also feed them hedgehog food or cat/dog food
- It's good to leave water out for them during hot weather
- There are different types of hedgehogs
- Hedgehogs are quite good swimmers
- A hedgehog can run up to 4 miles per hour (although I know they are fast, as I've had to chase escapees, I didn't know it was that fast)
Although I enjoyed the visit what arrived in the post really made the visit special, an envelope containing hedgehog themed thank you cards. These cards will go onto the hedgehog shed wall but before this happens I wanted to share them.
|The hedgehog themed thank you cards kindly sent to me after my school visit|
Note to teachers:If you're a teacher about to cover the theme of hedgehogs and would like me to visit please click on the 'support us' button for more details.
Sadly many hedgehogs may have died in the floods this year, so those that have survived will need our help more than ever. So if you have a hedgehog who visits your garden then you may wish to supply it with a new home or perhaps leave some food out.