One way or another there has always been a dog in my life. Each has had their own unique traits and habits, which have often made me wonder why I love them. Take for example my first dog Mitzi, she was:
- Extremely fussy about her food
- If she decided she'd walked enough that was it, she went no further
And yes this is me with Mitzi
Then there was Sally who would only sleep if I rested my hand on her back. This meant each night I fell to sleep with a hand slowly going numb.
After Sally came our yellow ball of fluff Bonny who:
- Hid chewed, sticky 'treasures' under my duvet
- Stole sweets and hid them behind the settee
- Emptied bins when she became annoyed with us (normally when we went shopping)
Then there was Jodi who:
- Played lets jump through the banisters and land on heads
- Dragged plants (roots and all) in from the garden through the dog flap
- Buried clean (they had to be clean) knickers, socks and bras in the back garden
- Jumped into any car with an open door expecting to be taken for a drive
Then came Tasha (out current canine friend) who:
- Steals socks, even taking them from the washing machine
- Takes all the space on the settee
- Chases anything that runs
- Believes every ball in the world is hers, even acquiring whilst still being played with
- Has 'entitlements' and unsutbly tells you when they are due
However there are also habits they have shared including:
- Leaving footprints on a newly cleaned floor
- Shaking and splattering mud up clean walls
- Creating unsavoury odours
So why do we love them? The answer is simple. They are family and whatever they do they get under your skin. And as a writer I have the added bonus that they feed my writing, they are my muse. Take for example my picture eBook Captain and Nugget (available from Amazon UK and Amazon US). Many of the things my canines friends have done appear in this story and without them I'd never have been able to write it.
So I was wondering what has your canine friend done to make you question why you love them?
P.S. If you'd like to purchase a copy of Captain and Nugget either follow the links about or click on the relevant flag.